Review: Crown of Midnight

Thursday, June 09, 2016



Celaena Sardothien is now the King of Adarlan’s Champion. She reluctantly completes the missions his assigns her, but when he orders her to kill someone she once knew, Celaena is forced to deal with the ghosts of her past. Ghosts she prefers to remain dead and buried. Along with coming to grips with the betrayal that sent her to Endovier, Celaena tries to make sense of the destiny that Queen Elena has laid out for her. Prince Dorian struggles with his feelings for his father’s champion while he fights against the power growing within him. And Chaol unknowingly destroys a bond through his thoughtless loyalty to a ruthless king. 

I have read this book once before, two years ago, during the second semester of grad school. Since I was so busy with my classes I didn’t read the book that closely so this time around I paid more attention. The second book in the Throne of Glass series, Crown of Midnight, is just as exciting as the first. Maas has added to her cast of characters with the likes of Roland, Dorian’s questionable cousin, the courtesan Archer, and my favourite the iron toothed witch Baba Yellowlegs. There were parts of this book I remembered vividly, the romance with a certain character  and the death of another character, but I had completely forgot about the conflict with the witch- it was a highlight of the book for me. I also forgot about the effect a certain passage of the book had on me two years ago. At the time I had been single for two years and was content. I had come out of a bad relationship and my attempt at dating afterward had also gone badly so I had sworn off men for years. And this passage, describing  Celaena’s reaction to her inevitable kiss with one of her love interests, it made me realize that I was ready to get back out there and try to find someone. And luckily for me, that someone was in my classes. We fell in love and now we are living together. When I read the passage we were sitting together and I looked up at him and said “Oh my gosh I forgot all about this!” I told him how this particular part of the book played a role in us going out and he wasn’t that thrilled that a book persuaded me to go out with him (lol). I love how  reading certain books can  help you relive certain emotions and remember certain things. 


 I really enjoyed rereading this book, anticipating the parts I remembered and delighting in the parts I had forgotten. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe