Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses

Monday, May 23, 2016

After killing a faerie while she was out hunting to feed her starving family, Feyre is taken over the wall to Prythian, to the Spring Court to atone for her deed. While over the wall she learns of the blight on her land and her part in lifting the curse and saving both the mortal and faerie realms. 


I was late coming to this party but man am I glad I did! I had read some of Sarah J Maas’ Throne of Glass series but the final semester of grad school took up so much of my time I had little time to read for pleasure. Now that I am finished grad school I finally bought a copy of ACOTAR. Maas has described the book as a combination of Beauty and the Beast and East of the Sun and West of the Moon. These are my favourite fairy tales (anyone ever see the movie The Polar Bear King? I wore out the VHS at my friend’s house, I wanted to watch it every time I went over!) and I knew the book would be something I would like. I was also drawn in by the High Lord of the Spring Court Tamlin. I spent much of my teenage years seeking out novels based on the Ballad of Tamlin or Thomas the Rhymer so I was excited to see how Maas would explore his story. Maas knows how to write compelling characters and she is a wizard at world building.  The book was amazing start to finish. As soon as I was done I preordered the next book A Court of Mist and Fury (luckily for me I had only three weeks until its release date on May 3rd). I enjoyed the book so much I immediately lent it to my sister to read (she, in turn, gave me The Invasion of the Tearling, we have a good system going). She liked the book so much she went out and bought both for herself. 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Love these books!!!!!! They are the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe